Where’s My John Wayne Wings
I got this recipe from Wings Across America by Armand C. Vanderstigchel.
“Eat these wings and ride off into the sunset.”
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 20 trimmed and separated wings
- pinch of each salt and pepper
- 1 large onion, chopped fine
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 ½ cups ketchup
- ¼ cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- ½ teaspoon chile powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 jalapeño chiles, minced fine
- Preheat oven to 375° F
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over high heat. Carefully add the wings to the skillet, sprinkling with salt and pepper to seal in their flavor while you brown them. After 10 minutes, remove the wings from the pan with tongs. Reserve the drippings in the pan.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pan and place over high heat to brown — about 3 minutes. Stir in the ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire, mustard, spices, and jalapeños. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove the sauce from the heat and transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Add the wings to the sauce, coating them thoroughly.
- Spread the wings evenly on a buttered 2-inch-deep baking dish. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until brown and glazed.